[ltp] lphdisk

Darrell Shively linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Thu, 14 Dec 2000 10:59:55 -0800

Vivek Dasmohapatra wrote:

> Has anyone used lphdisk [http://www.procyon.com/~pda/lphdisk/]
> on a thinkpad [esp. the A20] with any success?
>
> I had to juggle my partitions w. sfdisk to get /dev/hda4 to be a primary
> partition of approx the right size, and lphdisk ran Ok, none of my data
> was trashed, but the bios just responds to a tpctl --H with an 0x91
> "System Invalid" error. Anyone actually know what the contents/format
> of a hibernation partition should be?

Don't know if this helps, but here's the partitioning on my TPX20:
--------------------------------
   Disk /dev/hda: 240 heads, 63 sectors, 2584 cylinders
   Units = cylinders of 15120 * 512 bytes

      Device Boot    Start       End    Blocks   Id  System
   /dev/hda1             1       554   4188208+   c  Win95 FAT32 (LBA)
   /dev/hda2          2514      2584    536760   1c  Hidden Win95 FAT32
(LBA)
   /dev/hda3   *       555      2478  14545440   83  Linux
   /dev/hda4          2479      2513    264600    5  Extended
   /dev/hda5          2479      2513    264568+  82  Linux swap

   Partition table entries are not in disk order
--------------------------------

I believe partition 2 contains the hibernation area.
Interestingly, the machine originally came with 32MB or RAM.
I upgraded it to 256M.  I didn't change the hibernation area,
but it still seems to work from the hot keys.

I hadn't heard of tpctl before, but it sounds cool.  I installed the
.rpm, but it seems to have multiple problems (thinkpad.o modules in
wrong directory, mod to ld.so.conf w/invalid syntax, and the killer:
unresolved symbols in thinkpad.o).  Thus, I can't comment on whether
tpctl likes my partition or not.  The BIOS does, tho. :-)

> --
> Vivek

Darrell Shively   Cisco Systems Inc.   Robin:    Holy oleo!
(aka dash)        121 Theory Dr.       Catwoman: I didn't know
dash@cisco.com    Irvine, CA           you could yodel.
949-823-1155      92612  USA