[ltp] X11 is slugish

Harry Mangalam linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Wed, 23 Feb 2000 09:39:36 -0800

I should have mentioned early in my stream of conciousness that my
particular cup of poison is a TP 770X.

While it's mentioned in my TP User's guide, the Fn+F8 key doesn't appear to
do anything on mine (possibly becasue I'm running at a screen rez that
matches my LCD (1280x1024).  I've run it at 1024x768 in NT but I haven;t
had cause to run it like that under Linux (99.999% of the time).

As  Bill Mair mentioned, I think my screen problems have to do with my
suspend config, about which I'm still somewhat in the dark as to
what/which/where the particular settings are.  But I can live with that -
it's the speed problem, now solved (although blindly) that was really
bugging me.  Thanks Rob!

Cheers
Harry

Michael Selway wrote:

> >   This behaviour is dependant on your system's settings.
> >   If you configure your TP to suspend when the lid closes then you won't see the
> >
> >   "burn screen", but if it is configured to keep on running then you should
> >   either
> >   exit X or "CTRL-ALT-F1" to a virtual session before closing the lid. After
> >   reopening
> >   the lid you can then CTRL-ALT-F7 to get back to the XServer session.
>
> Incidentally, in my early tp600e days, I had real problems getting
> the display back through lid closing/opening and suspend/resume.
> One of the bits of the solution, which I've not seen mentioned
> elsewhere, was use of Fn+F8: this toggles between stretched and
> unstretched use of the LCD when in video modes which don't match
> the precise LCD pixel size.  Try it in a text mode and you'll see
> what I mean.  I found that out-of-the-box, the X display wouldn't
> come back properly after a suspend/resume, unless I'd used Fn+F8
> previously.
>
> Fn+F8 is almost undocumented: I found it by running "strings" on
> PS2.EXE.
>
> Michael.

Cheers,
Harry