[ltp] Using TP as serial console

Jay Lyerly linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Thu, 06 Jul 2000 19:34:04 -0400

Here's a shot in the dark....

Don't most of the thinkpad's have 1 serial port which shows up as
/dev/ttyS0?  You seem to be accessing /dev/ttyS1.  Other things to try
are 'statserial /dev/ttyS0' and 'setserial /dev/ttyS0'.  statserial
should show you the data lines on the serial port.  If it errors with no
output, the serial port is misconfigured.  If you get output, you could
try send some data in the serial port (if that's possible in your case)
and see if the statserial display changes.  setserial shows you what the
kernel thinks the parameters for the port are (irq, i/o port, etc.).
Make sure these jive with the actual settings.

hth,
jay