[ltp] IrDA problems on a 600E running RedHat 6.2

Robert Virding linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Mon, 17 Jul 2000 22:34:01 +0200

Till.Straumann@TU-Berlin.de writes:

>Robert.
>
>I also had problems getting the IR-port working. By now, I am able
>to use ircomm/FIR for talking to a Nokia 8210 and a PalmIII
>organizer.
>
>I documented the setup at
>
>http://www-hft.ee.TU-Berlin.DE/~strauman/irda-tiny-howto.html

Thanks for your help.  After loading down the "latest" drivers it the
IrDa part started working.  My remaining problem is communicating with
the network.  I can start up PPP and see with ifconfig that the
interfaces are there but I get "network unreachable".

It all seems to work running PPP over a pcmcia modem card though.

I think that this is due to a general network configuration error on my
machine.  At work I normally connect to our net with a pcmcia ethernet
card.  When I boot the machine with the card in everything works fine
but if I stick it in afterwards I explicitly have to do a 'ifup eth0' to
get everything running.  The correct info is in
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0.  Running
'/etc/pcmcia/network start eth0' doesn't help.

I guess that I am missing some information somewhere.  I personally
think that with RedHat it is getting confusing about where all the
configuration files are and which ones I need have to edit by hand and
which ones are handled by various configuration tools.  Is this
described satisfactorily anywhere.

Again thanks for your help,

	Robert

--
Robert Virding                          Tel: +46 (0)8 692 22 12
Bluetail AB                             Email: rv@bluetail.com