[ltp] 770X Error codes?

Kelvin KAN linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Wed, 19 Jul 2000 10:51:13 +0000

--PART-BOUNDARY=.110007191051.ZM6756.hongkong.sgi.com

So can anyone suggest how to avoid touching lm_sensors, if the consequenc=
e is
so terrible?

Or are we forced to play/confront with lm_sensors at some stages of booti=
ng
Linux with certain configs?  Will we be prompted to start/config lm_senso=
rs or
not while booting Linux?

I am worried because I selected nearly all packages at installation time =
that
there is a great chance I installed lm_sensors.

Thanks!
-
kelvin.

Fabrice Bellet wrote:
> > On Sat, Jul 15, 2000 at 09:08:43PM +0200, Bill Mair wrote:
> > > Fabrice Bellet wrote:
> > >
> > > When did you do this ?
> > > And when were you aware of this problem ?
> > > Why didn't you warn us here on the list that playing around with th=
e I2C
> > > lm_sensors stuff breaks ThinkPads ?
> > >
> > > I'm now I'm really worried about the 2.4 kernel, if any distributio=
> > > enables
> > > this stuff by default and probes the I2C bus looking for lm_sensors=

> > > support
> > > will this then break my ThinkPad ???
> > >
> > > Oh god, life is about to get very complicated installing V2.4.x ker=
nel
> > > based
> > > distributions...
> >
> [Stuff deleted]
> > I suggested to the lm_sensors maintainer, that there could be
> > a problem with the eeprom module. He told me that two things could
> > have happened :
> >     1 : the SMBus got locked in a state that makes it impossible
> >         to read from it. the motherboard serial numbers are
> > 	unaccessible.
> > 	A cold reboot could help : removing all power supply, waiting
> > 	a few minutes and reinserting them.
> >     2 : EEPROM data got mangled. The maintainer thinks this is very
> >         unlikely, because the eeprom module in lm_sensors
> > 	has no write capability (a the time of writing, ie January).
> >
> > The first case didn't really fit with what I experienced, because
> > removing power supply did not help me. But there may be another
> > sort of internal battery the PIIX4 bus may be connected on...
>
> I can't tell which, but I can relate my own tale of woe.
>
> My machine, a 600X, refused to boot with the very same errors about a m=
onth
> after I got it, and now that I think about it, I did play around with
> lm_sensors prior to the reboot after which this problem manifested itse=
lf.

> I never got lm_sensors to give me any interesting info, so I removed th=
em
> before rebooting. I guess this is why I never had the problem more than=
 this
> one time.
>
> I'd advise all Thinkpad owners to stay clear of lm_sensors. Also, I que=
stion
> the wisdom of building a machine that can be totally and unrecoverably
disabled
> by software. I'm all for software upgradeable BIOSes and stuff, but the=
re
must