[ltp] Closing lid while in X?

Rob Mayoff linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Wed, 8 Mar 2000 19:10:26 -0600 (CST)

| Is that what is meant?  If not what is the config variable that corresponds
| to it?

Here's what I have:

	#
	# Console drivers
	#
	CONFIG_VGA_CONSOLE=y
	CONFIG_VIDEO_SELECT=y
	# CONFIG_MDA_CONSOLE is not set
	CONFIG_FB=y
	CONFIG_DUMMY_CONSOLE=y
	# CONFIG_FB_PM2 is not set
	CONFIG_FB_VESA=y
	# CONFIG_FB_VGA16 is not set
	CONFIG_VIDEO_SELECT=y
	# CONFIG_FB_MATROX is not set
	# CONFIG_FB_VIRTUAL is not set
	# CONFIG_FBCON_ADVANCED is not set
	CONFIG_FBCON_CFB8=y
	CONFIG_FBCON_CFB16=y
	CONFIG_FBCON_CFB24=y
	CONFIG_FBCON_CFB32=y
	# CONFIG_FBCON_FONTWIDTH8_ONLY is not set
	# CONFIG_FBCON_FONTS is not set
	CONFIG_FONT_8x8=y
	CONFIG_FONT_8x16=y

| and by "vga=775", I assume you mean add that to the lilo config with an
| 'append' line?

No, do it like this:

	image=/boot/vmlinuz
		label=linux
		read-only
		root=/dev/hda2
		append="mem=327104K"
		vga=775

It can't be part of the append= line because it's actually parsed by
lilo, not by the kernel.

You should probably try typing it at the boot prompt first, e.g.

Boot: linux vga=307

As I recall, you have to use "307" at the boot prompt, but "775" in your
/etc/lilo.conf.  It's strange.  (Note that 307 base 16 = 775 base 10.)

If it's working, text mode should appear in super-hi-res 160x64 mode
instead of the usual 80x25 mode.