[ltp] zip drives

Ricky A. Kendall linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Mon, 27 Mar 2000 10:28:59 -0600

--------------E16976784B0AF13E900DCEA2

Iomega is weird in this sense but both Zip disks and Jaz drives use the
4th partition for these kinds of disks by default.  If you bring up fdisk
on /dev/hdc it will show you that partition 4 has all the space on the device.
If I want to use either for Linux I delete the partition and add the whole space
back to the first partiton before I make it an ext2 file system.  No reason other
than having the lame notion that I could write an autodetecting script somehow
based on the partition number but never got around to that ... :)

Ricky

Neil Smyth wrote:

> Thanks Jocki, that did it! I had tried a few other mount points (hdc1, hdc2
> in particular), but using hdc4 did not occur to me. I stopped short of
> trying every possible mount point as it seemed to me that there *must* be
> an easier way to find the correct mount points for devices (for example how
> id you know ZIP disks use default partition 4?). Anything along these lines
> available, or should I just wait for devfs assuming it makes it into 2.4?
>
> Regards,
>
> Neil
>
> At 01:25 PM 3/12/00 +0100, you wrote:

> >The linux-thinkpad mailing list home page is at:
> >http://www.bm-soft.com/~bm/tp_mailing.html

> Neil Smyth
> Telcordia Technologies
> 331 Newman Springs Road
> Red Bank, NJ 07701
> (732) 758-2393
> (732) 758-4372 Fax
> email:  nsmyth@research.telcordia.com

--------------E16976784B0AF13E900DCEA2

begin:vcard
n:Kendall;Ricky A.
tel;cell:515-291-5801
tel;fax:515-294-4491
tel;home:515-239-9914
tel;work:515-294-9291
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
org:Ames Laboratory;Scalable Computing Laboratory
version:2.1
email;internet:rickyk@scl.ameslab.gov
title:Computational Scientist
adr;quoted-printable:;;236 Wilhelm Hall=0D=0AIowa State University;Ames;IA;50011;USA
note;quoted-printable:Personal Contact Info:=0D=0Arickyk@mad.scientist.com=0D=0A1102 Wilson Avenue, Ames, IA, 50010
end:vcard