[ltp] External modem on Thinkpad a20m

Markus Alt linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Thu, 19 Oct 2000 21:17:25 +0200

Karl W Knight wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I just subscribed to the list, so please excuse me if this is an
> over-discussed question, or I'm not following protocol.
>
> I have a Thinkpad model a20m running Redhat 7.0 (I just upgraded).  I
> finally gave up on trying to use the winmodem under Linux (the
> linmodems.org site talks about a driver requiring a different kernel
> version than I'm using), and bought a US Robotics 56K external Fax

This won't help you with your external modem, but I'm quite sure that
with what is described in the Linmodem-Mini-HOWTO draft at

   http://walbran.org/sean/linux/linmodem-howto-all.html

you should be able to get your internal Lucent modem to work. I
currently use it on my 600X running SuSE 7.0 (2.2.16) and AFAIK, the
modem chipset is the same in the A20 models.

Markus