[ltp] 600x: How to max Processor speed?

Markus Alt linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Mon, 27 Aug 2001 13:51:30 +0200

Boyan wrote:

> Thanks for the reply!
>
> > > to continue the subject on the 600x here is my problem.
> > >
> > > When I boot linux without a battery and CDRom plugged in (that is my
> > > default option) I get invariably 498 MHz processor speed. Very often,
> > > however, I would prefer to enjoy the full 650 MHz speed that my 5FG
> model
> > > is capable of but alas without success.
> >
> > I've seen the same behaviour also with a 600X and with a T21, too. It
> > seems like a "feature" of the Intel SpeedStep mechanism. If there's no
> > battery in the machine or if the battery is at low charge when booting
> > the system, the clock speed is "reduced" (according to the output of
> > "cat /proc/cpuinfo").
> >
> > Like you, I haven't found any way to make the machine run at full speed
> > everytime,
>
> guess you mean linux, because in windoze is possible.

Well, as I understand it, in Windoze there is a SpeedStep applet that
kind of scans for changes in power connection (AC, battery low, no
battery) and then adopts the CPU clock speed accordingly. In Linux, the
clock speed and the bogomips as you get them from "cat /proc/cpuinfo"
are only calculated *once* at boot time. AFAIK, there is nothing that
can adjust these values later in "realtime", in case you e.g. put the
battery back into the machine.

Markus

--
Markus Alt