[ltp] 600x and tpctl?

Boyan linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Wed, 29 Aug 2001 06:42:22 +0200 (CEST)

Hello,

still having problems letting the tpctl 2 work on the thinkpad. I use suse
7.1 with reiserfs and kernel 2.4.0 and tried several times to install the
utilities. The last time I tried also the precompiled tpctl.rpm that comes
with the latest suse 7.2 and again I have the following output when I try
as root the utilities:

newbie# tpctl --ip

tpctl: System error message is: No such device

tpctl: Can't open device file /dev/thinkpad with flags O_RDONLY.
Exiting.

newbie# ntpctl
Error while opening the device...

On the other, hand somewhere along the numerous installations and
deinstallations of the package I suddenly was able to suspend and
hibernate with Fn-4 and Fn-12 respectively, which is very nice. But am not
sure whether it was due to my enabling the apm in /etc/.rcconfig or to the
utilities.

Bottom line is that I would like very much to use the wonderful functions
of the tpctl that I read in the man pages (since "man tpctl" works),
question is how if at all possible on this laptop. Did someone manage to
use tpctl with suse on the 600x 5FG model? I would be grateful for any
advice.

Regards,
Boyan.