[ltp] Sound on an IBM Thinkpad 600E

Willard Fullam III linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Thu, 6 Dec 2001 12:22:14 -0500

Hello Arnold,

IIRC, the 600s and the 770s (I have a TP770X) report as a CS461x but do
not work with this module. I have found the CS4236 does work. If you do
not have the latest version of ALSA. be it stable or beta whichever
you like, download and install it.

Then add something similar to this to the modules.conf and run depmod
-a (then reboot):

	**start of ALSA section**

#
# YaST2: sound cards support
#
alias char-major-116 snd
alias snd-card-0 snd-card-cs4236
options snd snd_cards_limit=1 snd_major=116

#
# YaST2: sound system dependent part
#
alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-0
alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
alias sound-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-11 snd-mixer-oss
alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss
options snd-card-cs4236 snd_cport=0x538 snd_dma1=1 snd_dma2=0
snd_fm_port=0x388 snd_irq=5 snd_isapnp=0 snd_mpu_irq=9 snd_mpu_port=-1
snd_port=0x530 >>this line wrapped<<
post-install snd amixer set Master 85% unmute;amixer set PCM 85%
unmute; amixer set Aux,1 85% unmute>>this line wrapped<<

	**end of ALSA section**

On KMail two lines appear to wrap and I have noted them above. This has
worked for me with SuSE 7.1. I cobbled this together from other posts
here, the SuSE-E list and from reading the notes in modules.conf. You
may need to modify the port and irq info, but most of that is default
(the mpu is disabled above as I do not use it). You may want to ramp up
the mixer settings to 100%, each to his/her own.

If this is a no go, just remove those entries and re-run depmod -a. It
her a go!

--
ThankYouKindly!
Willard E. Fullam III