[ltp] failure with mwave on thinkpad 600

Bernard DEBREIL linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Thu, 13 Dec 2001 22:41:39 +0100

Hi to everyone,

My config is RH 6.0, with kernel 2.2.5.15. Prior to implementing mwave
1.0.2, I understood that I ought to have kernel 2.2.16 or newer. I thus
downloaded said kernel from my other computer, and I transfered and
untared it on my thinkpad 600, then I compiled it. It works all right.
>From this new kernel, I compiled mwave 1.0.2. despites a lot of
warnings, I got no errors during that process. the right files appear in
the right places, so it seems.

>From there on, I have tried to implement this driver, being guided by
what is being written in the file 'mwave.txt'. I first tried manual
starts using :

insmod mwave (parameters)
setserial  /dev/ttySx autoconfig
/usr/local/bin/./mwavem

The two first command lines did not  lead to any error... while the
third one says :

'mwave modem, initialize mwave manager... ERROR'

(no explanation for the error).

When using the mwaved script, I get the same error.

The text file speaks about syslog files... but I don't know where to
find them. The /var/log/messages file only says the same thing :
'initialize mwave manager... ERROR'

I have tried fiddling around with the 'PS2' dos utility, enabling and
disabling the rear serial port... changing IRQs and I/O for the Internal
modem... but nothing changed, and I always got the same error.

Thanks for telling me what further investigations I should run, or,
alternatively, if another driver would better fit my purpose.