[ltp] Wireless Networking

Cameron Hooper linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Thu, 13 Dec 2001 18:28:45 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 13 Dec 2001, Heather Guse wrote:

> First question does your card ever light up once the system is booted,

Yes. It lights up when the message "Staring PCMCIA" appears in the boot
sequence. My cards has two lights. One light is very bright. The second is
much weaker and I can't be sure that it is even on (it might be merely
reflecting light from the other light). I also get two beeps (of equal
length and intensity).

> and second on shutdown do you notice a message about 'mod probe' and
> the wavlan_cs driver?

I get the following message:
modprobe -r wvlan_cs
wvlan_cs: Driver unloaded
Unloading Kernel Card Services

So something is clearly happening :-)

I'm not sure if this is important or not, but my laptop also comes with a
built in miniPCI Wireless LAN combo card. Investigation I made before
purchasing suggested this was not supported in linux, but the PC card was.
Thus the purchase of the card.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Cameron