[ltp] suspend-resume problem (A20p)

Tod Harter linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Wed, 26 Dec 2001 16:05:33 -0500

Hmmmm. I was running 2.4.9 for a good while and it was fine on the A20p. I
did set some options relating to suspend/resume in the kernel config, but I
don't think they were really needed. Since then I upgraded to Mandrake 8.1
(which uses kernel 2.4.8) and it seemed to work fine without any tweaking.

However, I do note the following:

There were times when resume didn't seem to be eager to happen, and a few
times my machine did lock up when it resumed, so it wasn't 100% reliable,
though it never showed the symptoms you're having. Sometimes just hitting the
"fn" key got me back to life, sometimes I had to hit "fn F4" one or even
several times (esp after a long suspend) before the machine would wake up.
Sometimes hitting "fn F3" seemed to work, and occasionally just briefly
hitting the power button (for maybe 1/2 second) would spark it back to life
when nothing else would. Now that I have Mdk 8.1 things seem more reliable,
so its even possible I partly broke something with my custom config.

Since the new version of tputils doesn't work on kernels older than 2.4.16 I
haven't had a chance yet to back and dig up an older version of that, and so
I have zero experience with hibernation. Seems like suspend gives at least 3
days of battery life for me anyway, so its never been a pressing issue.

Seems weird to me that hibernate would get fouled after a certain amount of
time though... The only thing I can think of that would be causing that
problem would be something to do with clock skew. Since hibernation is pretty
much a BIOS driven thing I don't think the OS itself ever really is aware
that its happening. My only theory would be that when the OS wakes up it gets
confused because as far as its concerned the RTC suddenly took a giant leap
into the future... That might create some problem with open file handles or
somesuch thing I suppose. Not sure why a certain period of time would be
necessary for things to get confused though. Another theory would be
something to do with job scheduling. Maybe cron gets cranky? I'd check my
system logs after a failure like that and see if perhaps there's a message in
there relating to time in some fashion.

These are the kernel config settings that Mandrake has in its stock 2.4.8
kernel config that might relate to APM and suspend/resume. Perhaps this will
be of some assistance.

#define CONFIG_PM 1
#undef  CONFIG_ACPI
#define CONFIG_APM 1