[ltp] Serial/PCMCIA problems with TP600E

Thomas Hood linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Fri, 16 Feb 2001 00:03:15 +0000 (GMT)

--- I <jdthood2@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>> The following options are set:
> >
> > Serial-A (built-in serial port): enabled COM1
> >     I/O:	0x3f8
> >     IRQ:	4
> > IR: enabled
> >     ADD:	<empty>
> >     DMA:	3
> >     I/O:	0x3e8
> >     IRQ:	7

> Hmm I wonder what "ADD" means.  I forget.

Okay, I just checked.  On my system PS2.EXE does not allow
you to set IR ioports and irqs independently, but invites you
to select an "ADDress" from 1 to 4 corresponding to DOS
COM ports COM1 through COM4.  COM1 is 0x3f8 irq4,
COM2 at 0x2f8 irq3, COM3 at 0x3e8 irq4, COM4 at 0x2e8 irq3.
This means that using PS2.EXE you can only set the IR
device to use irq3 or irq4.  Is the output you give above
actually from PS2.EXE?  If so then your version of the
program is different from mine.  Perhaps the 600E is
different from the 600 in this respect.

In any case, I would recommend that you use only irqs
3 and 4 for the IR port.  Since the DB9 serial port and
the modem also need to use irqs 3 or 4, one of these
will have to be disabled at any given time.  You can use
tpctl to enable the DB9 serial port and the infrared port
alternately.  It's unlikely you'd want to use both at the
same time anyway.

> > MIDI:
> >     ADDr:	330
> >     IRQ:	9
>
> Looks okay.  If you aren't using the MIDI sequencer then I'd
> recommend disabling it using PS2.EXE to free up this irq.

Since you are using irq 10 for the modem, irqs 3 and 4 for the
modem and serial port, irq 5 for sound, and irq 7 seems to be
hanging your machine, I would recommend disabling MIDI to free
up irq 9 for use with your pcmcia cards.

(I know I'm repeating myself.  That's just me getting senile.)

Thomas