[ltp] Re: Some IR progress

Tom Allison linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Mon, 26 Feb 2001 14:03:10 GMT

tom writes:

> Tom Grydeland wrote:
> >
> > I've had some progress with IR over the weekend:

These are my notes on getting the IR port to work with my Palm Vx.
These are essentially details to be applied on top of the pilot-link and
irda installation notes.  These are the actual notes.  Admittedly, they are
very "boiled down".
==========================
After following much of the usual stuff from the Infrared-HOWTO you have to
set up the following:
configure:
ln -s /dev/irnine /dev/pilot
where /dev/irnine is a:
mknod /dev/irnine c 161 0
then issue command:
irattach /dev/ttyS1 -d
(this must be run as root)
This will set up the connection between /dev/pilot -> /dev/irnine ->
/dev/ttyS1
You have to use the "-d" option for "Discovery" of the devices in IR-land.
Then you can use either Pilot-Link or Jpilot.

NOTE: You must start the PDA's sync process before you hit <rtn>
(Pilot-Link) or sync/backup (jpilot).  Otherwise, it'll puke.
=============================
I was able to get "close" using the HOWTO documentation.  tcpdump was
giving me some traffic over the irda, but it wasn't actually talking to
anything.
The node and links provided above gave me a talking connection using
everybody's (jpilot & pilot-link) favorite defaults.
What threw me was that I had to link /dev/pilot to /dev/irnine and to set
the irattach to something else.  I tried other combinations and they all
failed.
I honestly don't know why /dev/ttyS1 seems to be seperate from this
/dev/irnine business.  But I suspect that the irda is taking over ttyS1 in
the background and not really telling anyone about it.
This seems the case since the HOWTO notes indicate that you have to use
Windows to enable the IR port (Which kills com1 in the back for thinkpads).
 Then you can go into Linux and find the IR port.
Apparently, thinkpads have a trade off between your com1 port and your IR
port.

Let me know if this is of any assistance and/or if this makes any sense to
you.