[ltp] serial port on Thinkpad 600E

Thomas Hood linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Sat, 23 Jun 2001 13:41:00 +0100 (BST)

--- Christian Ceelen <ceelen@ira.uka.de> wrote:
> I tried to power on the serial port on my TP with "tpctl -rs1=on" but
> the result is following:
> tpctl: serial port 1 base address has been set to 0x66e0
> resource state:                                       current
>    serial port 1:                                     disable 0x66e0 IRQ4

In brier: tpctl version 1 works with 2.2.x kernels.  tpctl version 2
(currently up to version number 2.4) works with 2.4.x kernels.

What is happening here is that "on" is being interpreted by tpctl 1.0
as an address, since tpctl 1.0 does not understand the "on"
parameter.

Detail: The loadable kernel modules that come in the tpctl 2.x
package are required for kernel 2.4.x.  The loadable kernel modules
that come in the tpctl 1.x package are required for kernel 2.2.x.
The tpctl executable that comes in the tpctl 2.x package is
supposed to be compatible both with the new and the old kernel
modules.  That tpctl executable that comes in the 1.x package
is not supposed to be compatible with the new kernel modules.
Your experiment shows what happens when you use tpctl 1.x with
the new kernel and kernel modules.  It doesn't work.

Therefore: It is safe always to use the 2.x tpctl executable.
If you are using a 2.2.x kernel, then get the tpctl 1.0 kernel
modules that go with it.

If you get tpctl 2.4 then you will be able to switch the serial
port off and on.  However, I found that this would only work if
PS2.EXE was previously used to power the port on.  That is,
tpctl -rs1=off can shut off a port powered on by PS2.EXE, but
tpctl -rs1=on cannot turn on a port powered off by PS2.EXE.

Thomas Hood
(One of the authors of tpctl)
tpctl home page: sourceforge.net/tpctlhome.htm
Linux on a ThinkPad 600 page: panopticon.csustan.edu/thood/tp600lnx.htm

=====
Linux on ThinkPad 600 page: http://panopticon.csustan.edu/thood/tp600lnx.htm