[ltp] MWAVE on thinkpad 600e

aquanes linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Thu, 28 Jun 2001 11:18:03 -0400

--------------1A2C0FF2615618FD4671655C

Good news, it is getting better. I am able to dial my ISP number using minicom. It
was an irq conflict with my PCMCIA card which prevent me to access to the minicom
prompt.At least now I know that my mwave modem is up and running.

Now I am almost there, the last problem I think, is a ppp problem.

After dialing ATDT###-#### I have the following result
login:XXXX  (Submit)
password:XXXX (submit)
 entering ppp mode.
IP address is  xx.xx.xxx.x
MTU is 1524
on line of garbage characters
NO CARRIER

My question is what am I supposed to do after entering the ppp mode?

Thanks

aquanes wrote:

> Thanks for your help, but I still have a hard time with minicom.
> I set up correctly minicom using minicom -s , and when I do type minicom in my
> console, the modem is initializing which is good, the devide /dev/ttyS1 is
> locked which is good too. But after I do not have any prompt to enter
> 'ATDT###-####'.
> If I try to dial my ISP phone number using the DIAL Function in the help menu,
> I have the message Modem already connected, hang up fisrt! How is it possible,
> I did not specify any phone number anywhere. The Online timer is in the same
> time  running. I guess I need some help!
> Thanks
>
> Cyril Nestor
>
> paulsch@haywired.net wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 22 Jun 2001, aquanes wrote:
> >
> > > Hi everybody,
> > >
> > > I tried for the past 2 weeks to install Redhat7.1 on my Thinkpad 600e.
> > > Thanks to the excellent Thomas Hood's tutorial and this mail list, I
> > > have been able to setup the sound, PCMCIA, APM, etc... everything except
> > > the modem. So I decided to reinstall Redhat and to focus only on the
> > > modem, but no more luck.
> > >
> > > Here is what I get:
> > > in my /var/log/messages: (enclosed below as well as my kernel 2.4.4
> > > config file).
> > >
> > > Jun 21 17:51:33 localhost mwavem: mwmipc1::mwmIPC1InterruptHandler,
> > > ERROR usControlStat 0 (setting to 4)
> > This isn't necessarily an error which would stop the modem from working...
> > Are you setting up the serial port with setserial??  I would recommend
> > using the mwaved startup script that comes with the source to start your
> > modem...
> >
> > The easiest way to test your modem is to use minicom and try to
> > dial out via 'ATDT###-####' where ###-#### is the number you wish to dial
> > to...  If that works, you should be able to set up ppp...
> >
> > --
> >
> > Paul B Schroeder
> > paulsch@haywired.net

--------------1A2C0FF2615618FD4671655C

Good news, it is getting better. I am able to dial my ISP number using
minicom. It was an irq conflict with my PCMCIA card which prevent me to
access to the minicom prompt.At least now I know that my mwave modem is
up and running.
with minicom.
in my
is