[ltp] T21 -- RH 7.1 no MPEGs with xmms

D. Sen linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Sat, 05 May 2001 21:17:38 -0400

Friedemann Baitinger wrote:

> On Sun, 29 Apr 2001, D. Sen wrote:
>
> > Yup, xmovie, xine, OMS, xmms have been broken ever since there has been
> > xvideo support in the savage driver. Before xvideo support in the driver,
> > I could watch mpegs just fine.
>
> Do you still know which version supported the mpegs? I'd like to give it
> a try to patch that version into the XFree86-4.0.3. I have also reported
> this problem to Tim but never heard from him (Tim, are you still working
> on this?) ever since. Development of the savage driver seems to be
> 'stable' at version 1.1.15.

No, I dont. I would think it was around 1.1.11. I have versions going back to
1.1.13. Even if I could find an older version that doesnt have Xvideo support,
I would be extremely reluctant to use it because of the scrolling hang bug in
the older versions. I would much rather have a machine that stays up for weeks
at a time than have mpeg support and have it hang every two days.

If you like, I can send you version 1.1.13 to see if MPEG players work with
that version.

Development of the savage driver seems to be stagnant since Feb 23rd. I assume
its not high on Tim's priority.......which is a shame. Even a slightly modified
version with the option of turning Xvideo off, would be of use.

Keith Fretchette also seems to have gone quiet regarding the problem of having
simultaneous CRT and CRT displays with the SXGA+ chips. Dont you hate it when
your complaints seem to be reaching deaf ears?