[ltp] Re: faxing via onboard modem in Thinkpad A22p?

Mon, 29 Oct 2001 16:29:14 +0100

In your message dated: 29 Oct 2001 16:13:12 +0100,
The pithy ruminations from Dirk Husemann on
<[ltp] Re: faxing via onboard modem in Thinkpad A22p?> were:
=> >>>>> "RWM" == Robert W March <Robert> writes:
=>
=>     RWM> linux-thinkpad@merctech.com wrote:
=>     >> Has anyone had success sending a fax via the built-in modem in an A22p
=>     >> (or any compatible ltmodem in a Thinkpad)? I'm using:
=>     >> RedHat 7.1, 2.4.9
=>     >> ltmodem-6.00a1
=>     >> efax v0.9
=>     >> I can use the modem as a modem just fine, but faxing fails.
=>     >>
=>     >> Here's an excerpt from the dialog from efax:
=>
=>     RWM>             [snipped]
=>
=>     >> efax: 38:11 response "OK"
=>     >> efax: 38:11 command  "+FCLASS=1"
=>
=>     RWM>                                                          ^^^^^^^^^^^^
=>
=>     RWM> I know that mgetty+sendfax does not support the Class 1 fax device. Only Class 2 and
=>     RWM> 2.0 are supported.  Regarding efax, I do not know.
=>
=> Efax is supposed to support class 1, the problem really lies with the
=> modem SW it seems (I'm stumbling over the same problem), as soon as

By "modem software", I assume that you mean the ltmodem driver, not efax. I
upgraded to the the latest version of ltmodem (6.00b4), and the problem
persists.

=> you issue the +FCLASS=1 command the modem will shy away from
=> dialing. Dialing normally works just fine...

Yes. I can consistently reproduce the error from efax and from communications
terminal programs that let me connect to the modem directly (minicom). The
modem responds correctly until you go into fax mode, then dialling immediately
fails. The speed of the error response is independent of:
	the number being dialed
	the presence (or number) of leading commas (telling the modem to pause)
	the setting of the modem S6 register (how long to pause before dialling)
	the efax "-oz" option (to pause 100ms for each "z")
this seems to indicate to me that the content of the dial command isn't being
examined, it immediately generates an error.

I don't have access to the modem outside Linux, so I can't confirm what a
successful dialling process would be.

Mark

=>
=> --
=> Dr Dirk Husemann, Pervasive Computing, IBM Research, Zurich Research Lab
=> hud@zurich.ibm.com --- http://www.zurich.ibm.com/~hud/
=>
=> ----- The Linux ThinkPad mailing list -----
=> The linux-thinkpad mailing list home page is at:
=> http://www.bm-soft.com/~bm/tp_mailing.html
=>