[ltp] Some problems with RH 7.1 on TP600E

Michael Selway linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Fri, 14 Sep 2001 10:36:43 +0100

Robert Virding writes:
 > I have just installed RH 7.1 on my TP600E after having run 6.1
 > sucessfully for several years.  As yet I have done no modifications
 > and run it straight out of the CD.

I'm running rh7.1 on a tp600e.  I upgraded from 6.1 shortly after
7.1 came out.  Rather long extract from my notes below.  Hope it
helps.

regards,
Michael.
--
 > Everything seems to wokr but there are some issues still remaining:
 >
 > 1. I had IrDA port running perfectly with the help of a wonderful
 > little mini-HOWTO written by Till Straumann.  Things seemd to have
 > changed now (new modules), however, and I wonder if it is still
 > relevant?  Or has someone written something better?

I recently set up IrDA for the first time.  The best source of
info was Till's mini-HOWTO which is still relevant.  I couldn't
get the SIR modes (irtty or irport) to work: everything looked
fine, but nothing ever turned up in /proc/.../discovery.  FIR
worked first time, and has been fine.  When I was trying to get
SIR working, I upgraded to kernel 2.4.9, but there's no indication
that made any difference.

One-off steps:
- boot DOS and use ps2.exe to enable the IR.  I set it up as COM2
  which means linux calls it /dev/ttyS1.
- add "exclude irq 3" to /etc/pcmcia/config.opts (because this is what
  COM2 uses)
- add "alias char-major-161 ircomm-tty" to /etc/modules.conf.  (not
  sure this was necessary)
you need at least to restart pcmcia services.  might be simplest
to reboot.

then, after each reboot:
	setserial /dev/ttyS1 uart none
	modprobe nsc-ircc dongle_id=0x09 irq=3 io=0x2f8
	echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/irda/discovery
	ifconfig irda0 up

and then you can show it's detecting an external device by
    	cat /proc/net/irda/discovery
which in my case gives:
	IrLMP: Discovery log:

	nickname: SIEMENS S35, hint: 0x9024, saddr: 0x18a5f944, daddr: 0x09189323

I'm sure I can set up stuff in /etc/modules.conf to allow it all
to happen automatically on "ifconfig irda0 up", but I reboot so
infrequently, I haven't got round to it.

 > 2. It will not resume after being suspended!  This is irrespective of
 > whether I am running X or not.  It goes down wonderfully but never
 > comes up again.  This is really a nuisance as I turn away and come
 > back to find the TP suspended.

I had to rebuild a kernel to solve this.  Install the kernel
source, then:
	cd /usr/src/linux-2.4
	cp configs/kernel-2.4.2-i686.config .config
	make menuconfig
and navigate to the apm stuff (in "general setup", iirc) and set
it up to look like this:
		Ignore USER SUSPEND
	Y	Enable PM at boot time
	Y	Make CPU Idle calls when idle
	Y	Enable console blanking using APM
	Y	RTC stores time in GMT
	Y	Allow interrupts during APM BIOS calls
		Use real mode APM BIOS call to power off
[I've since experimented with switching this last one on, but it
doesn't make any difference]
then:
	make dep
	make bzImage
	make modules
	make modules_install
	cp -a arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/vmlinuz-new
	fix up /etc/lilo.conf, run /sbin/lilo, etc.
(A cleaner way is described in one of the Redhat manuals on the
rh7.1 documentation CD-ROM)

I also had problems with network cards not surviving a
suspend/resume.  I was a bit appalled by the stuff in
/etc/sysconfig/apm-scripts/apmscript, and moving it aside (ie
disabling all of it) made my system work fine.  I intended to
revisit this radical move, but 5 months later, and it's still
disabled.  The only thing in there which I miss is the sound mixer
settings (like volume) which get lost over suspend/resume, but I
don't use sound so often that that's a big deal for me.

While we're here, I also had to add "exclude port 0x2f8-0x2ff" to
/etc/pcmcia/config.opts to stop pcmcia cards hanging the system
after a single beep.