[ltp] T23 (2647-5KU) with Linux and X?

Immanuel Derks linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Sun, 23 Sep 2001 22:06:21 +0200

Michael Nelson wrote:

> Hello All
>
> I'm brand new here, so is my machine (TP23, model 2647-5KU).
> It's a great machine, and I'd love to be able to use Linux with
> X on it.
>
> I used Partition Magic to give about 25GB to Linux and
> successfully installed RedHat 7.1 on it, but I'm unable to get
> X working in any mode other than using the frame buffer server
> in 800x600 256 colors, and frankly, it SUCKS, bigtime.
>
> I can't find ANY X server that supports the video chip (S3
> Super Savage/IXC SDR.  There is XFree86 support for some of the
> Savage cards, but none of them work with this thing.
>
> I also checked the Accelerated X demo of their laptop server,
> and it just reports that the chip is unkown.
>
> xig.com does have a deal where if you loan them your machine
> for a month, they write a driver and install it and send the
> machine back to you with the driver installed and with a full
> shrinkwrap copy of the software with support and everything,
> but I'm not wild about losing the machine for month.
>
> Anyone have X working in any satisfactory manner with this
> machine?
>
> Thanks
> Michael
>
> --
>
>                     "# chmod a+x /bin/laden"
>
> Michael Nelson                                  San Francisco, CA

Supposedly, S3 is going to release some drivers "soon" for the chip
(closed source), but this is so far just an unconfirmed rumour. XIG is
desperately for specs, and Tim seems to be left out as well, what makes
you utterly dependend on S3, which IMHO, is a major FU.

Immanuel
--
T R A N S L U C E N T  S Y S T E M S
-The Linux Engineers From Amsterdam-