[ltp] Ultrabay...Does it work, or not?

Markus Alt linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Sat, 29 Sep 2001 19:44:32 +0200

Chris Halls wrote:

> Hi Andruis,
>
> On Tue, Sep 25, 2001 at 10:49:29PM -0400, Andrius Ciziunas wrote:
> >    Now, the FAQ says:
> >
> > "To hot-swap bay devices do the following.
> > 1) Compile the kernel with the CD/DVD-ROM driver configured as a module.
>
> I read that somewhere too.  In the same place I also read that you need to
> unload the module (rmmod) before suspending the laptop to swap the drive.
> Did you do that?

Ok, here are my 2 cents: When I boot the machine (T22) with the DVD-ROM
in the UltraBay, suspend, swap the DVD-ROM to the floppy drive, resume -
this works fine.

To get it to work the other way, i.e. boot with the floppy drive and
then swap to the DVD-ROM, I had to compile the CD/DVD-ROM driver as a
module, like you said. In such a case, I would boot with the "hdc=cdrom"
parameter (although I use this very rarely, most of the time the DVD-ROM
is in the UltraBay and then I change to floppy). Unloading the modules
before suspending was not necessary.

With regard to other IDE devices (e.g. a 2nd HDD), I haven't had any
success so far when trying to "warm-swap" them, even though I tried to
unregister/register with "hdparm". If someone has managed to do this,
I'm also very interested in hearing from it ...

Markus

--
Markus Alt
IBM Lab Boeblingen, Germany