[ltp] Recent Linux distros on TP 570E?

Mon, 12 Aug 2002 09:39:47 -0400

I have a TP 570E which I wanted to upgrade from RedHat 6.2 to
something more recent.

The installation of RedHat 7.2 went fine, but on booting, half the
time, it claims it can't find the hard drive and won't boot.  I didn't
manage to copy down the error messages exactly, but it had to do with
UDMA modes in the driver.  I've tried 7.3 as well, and every kernel
parameter that seems like it might relate.  It still fails to boot 50%
of the time.  I can't see anything different in the boot process
before the point where it fails or succeeds.  I went back to 6.2 and
it is fine.

Presumably there is some problem with the drivers in more recent
kernels either being buggy, or incorrectly detecting and trying to use
features that aren't there.

I've googled for problems of this sort, but couldn't find anything
that matched.  Nor could I find any reports of a late-model Linux on a
570E.

Have others encountered this problem?  Is there a way around it?  Or
does it "just work" for everyone else?

Thanks
--
David E. Bernholdt                   |   Email: bernholdtde@ornl.gov
Oak Ridge National Laboratory        |   Phone: +1 (865) 574 3147