[ltp] Partially killed my TP: Quick question, hopefully someone has a quick answer...

Bill Mair linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Fri, 23 Aug 2002 15:18:41 +0200

--On Friday, August 23, 2002 08:48:33 AM -0400 Vidyut Luther
<vluther@linuxpowered.com> wrote:

> Unfortunately... your answer is B. I'm pretty sure of that. The A22P
> boasts a 30 gig drive right ? There is a hidden partition that takes up
> about 2 gigs. This is where the system restore CD will take it's info
> from..I'm fairly certain that it will wipe out anything else there is.

Sounds like you are really a D though, "I'm pretty sure of that." seems
to tell me that you don't really know. But I would rather have a natural
disaster rather than have B being the final answer,

> A possible solution could be Norton Ghost, which will let you make an
> image of the hard drive and the Linux partition and you can store it
> elsewhere, like on a network or different computer. The latest version
> does work with Linux partitions so that might work for you...

I don't have Norton Ghost, but I do have linux :-)

So I guess, if nobody really knows, it's going to be time for "dd" to get
working, and then, I'll see what happens when I tell IBM's recovery tool
to go and do it's thing.

Bill