[ltp] Partially killed my TP: Quick question, hopefully someone has a quick answer...

Bill Mair linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Sat, 24 Aug 2002 17:27:25 +0200

Thanks for all the answers, for my machine the answer is A !

The IBM recovery process installed on a Thinkpad A22P only restores the
windows "C" partition (format C:) and leaves my linux alone.

( It also left my "D: DATA" partition alone too. )

On my A22P there is a hidden recovery partition, this restores, as is
described during the process, the "system partition" only, i.e. C:. It
also said "This will reformat the disk" at various points after that
so this could/should actually be reported to IBM as a documentation bug,
the text should read "This will reformat the system partition". BTW
the A22P didn't come with a CD, so if the HD ever dies, I don't know
how IBM will solve this for me. I mean saving expenses is okay (i.e. 1 CD)
but what would this mean for me or anyone else whose HD dies ?

For the record, my problem and solution were as follows:

0) Saved all partitions using "dd" to another PC on the network. Additional
positive side effect, I now have access via loopback device to my current
HD data :-).

1) Started VMWare from hda1 without first creating a second hardware
profile. Therefore W2K lost al the configurations for the TP H/W, and
then when I restarted W2K, it had all kinds of serious problems with
H/W settings, suspension, networking, etc.. Basically a mess. My own
stupidity,.

2) During the linux install process, I had opted for lilo in hda MBR,
which meant that the recovery option was no longer available. Duhhh....

3) Mounted recovery partition under linux, had a look around, and for
a "recovery restore" disk image, copied this over to my "D" and then
rebooted W2K.

4) Created the disk, booted from it, which then killed lilo and installed
itself into MBR.

5) Recovered the system using the on-disk process, hoping that I wasn't
going to have to start shrinking partitions, and recovering them from
dd copies. The recovery process went fine, loads of reboots, unzips,
copy heres and copy theres. As windows was then going through it's steps
it said "Disk size 30GB, checking disk integrity", this only tested C:,
my heart started to sink.

6) Load of reboots later, and I finally had the chance to start
explorer.....
D still there ! I quickly started the HD config and found that all of
my linux partitions were also untouched. Great sigh of relief.

  *  A big THANKS to IBM Thinkpad ! ! ! *

7) Booted from linux CD, typed "rescue <ENTER>", reinstalled lilo, and
I am now answering you all, from linux, as it should be.

So thanks for all the answers, and I hope you all have a great weekend !

  Bill