[ltp] Thinkpad 760XL, Red Hat 8.0, and XFree86

Mike Barnard linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 23 Dec 2002 22:25:38 -0500

	Hi. I've got this crappy old Thinkpad 760XL that I've been running linux on
for quite some time now, but I can't get X working to save my life. Actually,
it used to work under Red Hat 7.2. I upgraded to 7.3 and while it worked fine
for the graphical install, it became a jumbled mess when I tried to run it
after the 7.3 install. I moved to 8.0, hoping to make things better, but it
made them worse - now I get nothing at all. The X server starts successfully
but NOTHING is displayed - it's just a black screen. I can kill the server
with control-alt-backspace and it shuts down normally, but I never get to see
anything on my display. Furthermore, when I did the 8.0 install, even the X
server that starts for the graphical install didn't work. It worked fine for
7.2 and 7.3. If anyone has a working XF86Config for a Thinkpad 760XL (or any
other Thinkpad with the Trident Cyber 9385 chipset) I'd REALLY appreciate it.

Oh, and as an aside, does anyone know what Red Hat has replaced the old,
reliable Xconfigurator program with? I have nothing to easily configure my X
server with in text mode now. Tweaking XF86Config by hand is not my forte.