[ltp] Debian on X22

Tino Keitel linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Tue, 12 Feb 2002 15:53:19 +0100

On Tuesday, 12. February 2002 12:59, Uwe.Nestmann@EPFL.ch wrote:
> What is the best strategy to get Debian running on a
> brandnew Thinkpad X22, considering that the graphics is ATI
> Radeon, which AFAIK is only fully supported under Xfree 4.2?
>
> Should I go with testing/woody or rather with stable/potato?
> I do not imagine unstable, because I need to get some work
> done and prefer the machine to behave in a reliable way.
>
> Up to now, the information I found on the net only concerns
> the model X21, and most of it addresses Redhat ...

AFAIK you need XFree86 4.2.0 to be able to use a mobile Radeon chip. Debian
currently uses 3.3.6 for potato and 4.1.0 (reporting as 4.1.0.1) for woody
and sid. You can catch the latest news regarding Debian and XFree86 at
http://people.debian.org/~branden/. I use woody and I recently built 4.2.0
from the official source from ftp.xfree86.org for my desktop machine and
replaced the 4.1.0 X server and its driver modules and all libGL* files with
the 4.2.0 versions. Works fine.

Tino