[ltp] Thinkpad 600E and Mandrake

wes schreiner linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Sat, 01 Jun 2002 17:43:56 -0500

Andrew Lee wrote:

>>>Look in /etc/pcmcia/config.opts
>>>Use the "exclude irq" statement to keep the NIC off of the mwave driver
>>>I believe PCMCIA driver can share an IRQ with another driver (but not
>>>the mwave)
>>>
>>If it is a 16-bit pcmcia card it can't share an IRQ (think ISA), but if
>>it is a 32-bit cardbus card (think PCI) then it usually can.
>>

>I've no idea if it's 16 bit - it's fairly old, so there's a good chance.
>It's a 3Comn 3c589b PCMCIA card.

Yep, that's 16-bit, it needs its own IRQ.  I use a 3Com 3CCFE575CT
(3c575) that
I purchased just because my old PE-200 was 16-bit and messed with the modem.

>It seems that it won't work like that anyway, as the IRQ 10 is used by the
>modem also. I think I'm going to give up. I have adsl at home here, so the
>laptop can connect to that by my network, and when I go away, I will just
>have to buy a modem card.

Or when you want to use the modem just pop out the network card.  Two
ISA devices
can have the same IRQ as long as you don't try to use them at the same time.

You might also exclude IRQ 10 in /etc/pcmcia/config.opts and see if the
card will then use
IRQ 7.  7 is for the printer, but Linux can poll the printer port for
simple uses like printing,
though if you need to use one of the faster modes for the parallel port
(like I have a webcam
there) then that needs the IRQ all of the time.

Good luck
wes