[ltp] Power drainage on T21

Michael Selway linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Tue, 25 Jun 2002 12:07:28 +0100

 > On Tue, 2002-06-25 at 20:54, Christophe Zwecker wrote:
 > >
 > > I gota T21 and everything works pretty nice, with rh73. I wish
 > > hotswapping floppy and cdrom would work, but I guess its not so easy.
 > >
 > > I wonder how long the battery is supposed to last, I only get like 60
 > > mins, I have an additional battery for the ultrabay which gives me
 > > another 60 mins about.
 > >
 > > I thought the battery is supposed to hold for at leasr 2 hours ?

I now get around 1h20 battery life on my 9-month-old T21.  The
machine has always run much hotter than previous thinkpads I've
had.  I've tried various things to reduce the battery drain and
get it to run cooler, but I've not managed to make any difference.
I live in fond hope that developments like cpufreq and acpi will
come to my rescue, but they're a way off yet.

incidentally, I posted a message about problems with my t21 not
spinning up the disc when resuming, occasionally with redhat7.1
and 7.2, and around 50% of the time with redhat7.3.  I've not
completely solved it yet, but these two things make resumes
significantly more reliable:

 - my pcmcia modem card needs to be taken down before suspend;
   redhat's /etc/systconfig/apmd stuff does it for me;

 - Do not unplug or replug the AC power while it is suspending
   (which I used to do frequently: hit suspend, close the lid,
   unplug the power, rush off to catch the train...)

But this morning it failed to spin the disc up on resume, first
time in a week or so, and there was no AC near me when I
suspended.

Michael.