[ltp] What NIC to buy for Linux/BSD compatibility? [TP i1400 ]

Michael Selway linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Wed, 1 May 2002 12:30:36 +0100

Dale P.Smith writes:
 > Anyway.  The t21's have a lucent chipset modem.  There is a binary-only
 > driver that some people have hacked with wrappers so it will run with
 > other kernels than what it was compiled for.  It works great!

Be careful here: I have a t21, wonderful in almost all respects,
except the modem won't work under linux.  IBM ship these machines
with different "mini pci" cards in them.  There are two varieties
of modem on these, and mine is the 3Com one.  The ethernet support
for the card is just fine, but there is no linux support for the
modem.

So I use a PCMCIA card modem.  Same card, in fact, as I used on my
previous 600e, which I had before the mwave drivers were released
:-).  Plus ca change.

Michael.