[ltp] Mousepin troubles after suspend/sleep/hibernate

Tod Harter linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Wed, 8 May 2002 09:11:05 -0400

You might solve the mouse pointer problem by configuring your X server to use
a software cursor.

In your XF86Config-4 file find the following....

    # Uncomment following option if you see a big white block
    # instead of the cursor!
    #    Option      "sw_cursor"

and uncomment the option. It may or may not fix the problem, but my guess is
that it will. Note that there is some slight negative impact on performance,
but on a machine as new as an R30 I doubt you'll notice it.

The other problem sounds similar to ones I've had with KDE. I think its a KDE
2.2.x bug. Once in a while I'll have a window get "stuck" or a menu or some
other desktop element. I think KDE misses an input event and gets a bit
confused and from then on you're in semi-lala land. I've found that a lot of
times you can work your way out of these jams by selecting various things on
the desktop or changing focus with keyboard shortcuts a few times. I don't
think KDE 2.2.x series is the most stable desktop ever :(. The funny thing is
it seems to happen in spurts. I've had no trouble for the last 2 weeks, and
before that I had 2 weeks of nothing but flakiness. I have a strong suspicion
that running CPU intensive background tasks like multi-media applications and
such is the culprit. The Linux kernel, as you may know, is kind of primitive
in many respects, and one of the main ones is its handling of concurrency.
Essentially the entire kernel is non-reentrant, so its possible that if
you're using xmms or playing video or streaming audio that KDE's input event
handlers, or the X server's interrupt handlers simply can't get in there fast
enough sometimes. Work is ongoing to fix the whole problem, which I hear
results in about 40% improvement in desktop responsiveness. 2.6 or maybe
later 2.4 series should incorporate at least some of that pretty soon :o).