[ltp] SuSE 8.0 on TP 600E *beware*

philippe.corboz linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Sun, 12 May 2002 18:03:01 +0200

Greetings,

I just went thru the unpleasant experience of re-installing W98SE which I had on my
dual-boot SuSE / W98 system. Cause: the "upgrade" from SuSE 7.2 to SuSE 8.0 had
clobbered the MBR in a way that made the hard disk unbootable, I had to do all the
recovery activities via floppies and CD's. Not even 'format /MBR' worked.

A special mention goes to mondo/mindi here, sadly, I had been lazy a while, and had
only 'oldish' backups available.

IMHO, stay away from SuSE 8.0 unless (a) you do an all new installation of Linux on
its own disk, and (b) never plan to change the hardware, the detection of new
hardware (try adding an USB mouse!) does definitely not work properly, either.

- Philippe