[ltp] Washington Post article Linux on TP600

James Holden linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Wed, 22 May 2002 12:16:13 +0100

Quoting Tom Allison <tallison1@twmi.rr.com>:

[snip]

> To some extent you may be right.
> My brother just got a Linux box and I had to remind him that he will
> probably not have to reboot the machine for the next 3-6 months unless
> he wants to upgrade the kernel.  He was kind of dumb-founded.  It's like
> telling someone they don't have to breathe...

Heh, there's something wrong with that box if you only expect it to stay up for
half a year! I almost never actually halt my Thinkpad. Suspending and resuming
works like a dream, so it racks up incredible uptimes! My colleague has 'doze
laptop (same model) and it dies in it's sleep about 1 time in 3. We've tried
everything.

People really do accept crashes as part of daily life though. (When will they
learn?!)

James

--
James Holden, Leeds, United Kingdom