[ltp] Washington Post article Linux on TP600

Paul Barrett linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Wed, 22 May 2002 12:39:32 -0400

James Holden wrote:

> Quoting Ken Firestone <kenf@speakeasy.net>:
>

>>Hello everyone.
>>
>>Today's (Sunday) Washington (DC) Post has an article on installing
>>Linux:
>>	http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A36612-2002May18.html
>>One of the computers involved is a TP600. The dear gent writing the
>>article has problems getting sound and modem working. Anyone care to
>>read the article, and see if you can help him out?

Rob Pegoraro has been writing for the WP PC/Technical column for at least five
years now.  After reading that article I was rather dismayed by his comments
about the Winmodem and sound card.  He should have qualified his statements by
saying that these problems are not entirely Linux's fault, since the software
used with these chips are often proprietary. I expect better from a journalist
whose job it is to follow this subject and has done so for so long.

I think it really is the situation that if all you know is Windows, then other
OSs are difficult.  For me it is just the opposite, I find Windows difficult and
oftern have to resort going back to Linux to get some task associated with
hardware to work, such as writing an ISO image to a CD-WR disk.

--
Paul Barrett, PhD      Space Telescope Science Institute
Phone: 410-338-4475    ESS/Science Software Group