[ltp] Modem on A22p with RH 8.0

JC WOODWARD linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 13 Oct 2002 16:54:43 -0400

James Mckenzie: >Something is not working properly here.

So sorry to hear you are having troubles, especially after I touted this thing as
being trouble free.  I'm surprised, a shrink-wrapped Red Hat distro is hardly
bleeding-edge!

The LTmodem package is a hybrid of proprietary (closed source) and open source
components.  The source directory includes a  half-megabyte object file ltmdobj.o
dated 4/14/02 which has already been compiled by the vendor.  And so even though you
have gcc 3.2 as required and have compiled the open source components with 3.2,
that precompiled binary file was probably made with an earlier version gcc.

Ted Johnson said in his latest post "I submit the last ~10 lines from the log
BLDrecord.txt which is the log of the build:"  and so I presume he has notified the
LTmodem developers of the problem.  I guess that they'll have to issue one build kit
with the proprietary binary compiled under gcc 2 and another with the binary compiled
under gcc 3.2.

Regards,
JC Woodward