[ltp] Slow Linux

Charles E Taylor IV linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 21 Oct 2002 09:40:21 -0400

On Sat, 19 Oct 2002 20:12:24 -0400 (EDT)
"surferjeff@excite.com" <surferjeff@excite.com> wrote:

> I have a Thinkpad 600 (no E or X.)  I just installed Mandrake 8.1, and
> for some reason, it's running really slow, like not-really-usable slow.

I have a 600 (PII/266, no E or X).  I run Redhat 7.3 at the moment, but
extreme slowmess shouldn't be a problem on Mandrake either.

Simplest speed tip:  Spend $20 on some RAM.  If you don't have all the RAM
you can stuff in the machine, get it.  With 224 megs of RAM, my system is
nice to use.

> I installed Linux as a loopback file,
> not on a separate partition.  Is this what's causing it to run so slow?

That's probably part of the problem right there.  How much of a speed hit
it causes I can't say, as I've never installed like that.  Best to give
Linux its own partition(s) if you actually want to get work done on it.

If it's anything like Slackware's old UMSDOS install, it's slooooow.

My Thinkpad 600 has a small DOS partition for the hibernation file and
PS2.EXE, and the rest is Linux.

> If so, how do I uninstall Linux and re-install it on a separate
> partition?

You'll need to resize or nuke your DOS partition.  I'm partial to nuking
Windows with fdisk, but ... :)

*  Charles Taylor <tomalek@mindspring.com>
*  Chemistry teacher, Linux enthusiast!
*  College Chemistry website: http://home.mindspring.com/~charletiv/