[ltp] infrared ports

unlisted linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
30 Oct 2002 02:12:14 -0600

insert standard disclaimer here about me being an idiot and possibly
completely wrong with anything i say, especially in regards to your
specific configuration (hardware, software, etc).  heck, i don't
understand my own hardware and hardly remember what i do to get it to
work. ;-)

On Tue, 2002-10-29 at 13:16, dan moylan wrote:
> i have downloaded thinkpad-3.7 and tpctl-3.7, unpacked, "made",
> and instlled them and have tried using them to set up my serial
> ports on my tp-600e.

i haven't dinked with my 770x's configuration in ages.  just remember
that i had to use ibm's dos-requiring ps2 utility for something(s),
tpctl for something(s), and setpnp for something(s).  maybe i did use
tpctl to set the port and irq for my serial ports (db9 & ir).

> btw, i see no reference in any of the man
> pages to the infra red, which i am trying to disable in favor
> of the normal serial port and built-in fax/modem.

mwave?  i think the 600e is one of the (fortunate) machines to have the
supported mwave.

> i don't know what causes the error wrt serial port 1.
> serial port 1 is connected to an external modem, and
> serial port 2 is (i believe) the internal modem.
> neither appears to work.

here's the setup on my machine:
- mwave: irq 3, port 2f8, ttyS1
- db9:   irq 4, port 3f8, ttyS0
- ir:    irq 4, port 3e8, ttyS2

that was all gleaned from the output of lspnp (device, irq, port) and
setserial (ttyS).

i have my db9 and ir sharing an irq, which i think worked the last time
i tested it (i just tested ir because it's the most likely to be used
and hasn't been tested since i upgraded to 2.4, but neither gets used
otherwise; i only set it all up "just in case").

my output from tpctl --rsx:

leviticus:~# tpctl --rsx
resource state:                        ioaddr irq#   able? mode/power
   serial port 1:                       0x3f8 IRQ4  enable on
   serial port 2:                       0x3e8 IRQ4  enable

so here, my tpctl output doesn't even take into consideration the mwave
modem.  and there doesn't seem to be any obvious indication that serial
port 1 is db9 and port 2 is ir.

and beyond all this, i think i remember that ps2 is needed to turn ports
on and off; tpctl & setpnp just "tweak" the ports once they are enable.
but i'm probably remembering something wrong.

see if you can get a response out of thomas hood, the creator/maintainer
of tpctl, and ask him what would cause the "(error)" listing under
"mode/power" and if tpctl will do exactly what you want.

hth, even if only a little bit.  (heck, it was reason enough for me to
motivate myself to test my ir setup to make sure it still works for
syncing my visor handheld after upgrading to 2.4.)

anyways...
--

PLEASE REQUEST PERMISSION TO REDISTRIBUTE
   AUTHOR'S COMMENTS OR EMAIL ADDRESS.