[ltp] Upgrading T21 . . . what next?

Darrin "tizzyD" Tisdale me at tizzyd.com
Tue Apr 22 03:11:30 CEST 2003

I've currently got a T21 with a 60GB HD, 384 MB RAM running SuSE 8.1.  I
prefer the prepackaged distro, and as they go, SuSE IMHO is the best.
BTW--looking to play with Gentoo next time around, but enough of that...

It's time for an upgrade.  Although quite quick for many things, I need
additional power for some Wine-based apps.  I'd also like better video (S3
drivers blow) and Firewire (for the iPod).  For me, other important items
include remote handling (I travel about half the time), solid perfornance,
and no funky Windows-only based crap (like the WinModem).  Wireless is
ubiquitous, and as long as the built-in system is supported under standard
PCMCIA drivers, I'm fine.

So, should I go with a T, an X, or an A?  I'll be maxing it out, and,
fortunately for me, cost really is not a factor.  Weight is also not much of
an issue.  I rarely try and use it on planes, and I'm just too tall (6' 5")
for anything but a DVD player.  Hell, the tray does not even fit down all the
way out.

Anyone have any experience here with these models?  Should I ditch IBM all
together?  I look to the community for sage feedback.

--
. . . tizzyD
Ungeek me at www.ebb.org/ungeek