[ltp] Li-Ion battery's time is up!

Nate Bargmann linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 11 Aug 2003 09:12:08 -0500

Hi All.

Well, I didn't know much about Li-Ion batteries and now I seem to know a
bit more as mine appears to be totally dead after powering my 390e for
about two hours just last week.  After a few Google searches I now
understand there is a charge counter in the battery pack that
essentially kills the pack after a predetermined number of charge cycles
has been reached.  Is this true?  Or, does it sense the pack temperature
during the charge cycle?

This is an apparently functioning pack and it seems like such a waste
that it is now rendered useless.  The date on the pack is Dec 20, 1999,
so it's probably just as well.

I use my laptop daily and have had it for about six months and this
morning is the first time the battery has shown any sign of trouble, not
powering the laptop at all.  Would I be better off seeking a Ni-MH
replacement rather than the Li-Ion, or will the total life work out to
be the same?  I'd appreciate all input before I hit ebay.

- Nate >>

--
 Wireless | Amateur Radio Station N0NB          | "We have awakened a
 Internet | n0nb@networksplus.net               | sleeping giant and