[ltp] Success report: t41 save2dsk.bin hibernation (no-X)

Rob Browning linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 03 Dec 2003 18:15:38 -0600

As a further data point, I have managed to get save2dsk.bin (Phoenix
BIOS-style) hibernation working on a T41 thinkpad that doesn't (yet)
have X installed.

In order to get hibernation working, I initially tried using the
lphdisk package, along with an A0 partition, but that didn't appear to
work, though I didn't investigate all that heavily before I downloaded
http://samba.anu.edu.au/junkcode/#tphdisk and built tphdisk from
tphdisk.c.  I ran tphdisk with no arguments, and followed the
instructions that it printed (i.e. create a type 16 "hidden fat16"
partition, then run mkdosfs, then create the save2dsk.bin file with
tphdisk).  After that, and a "modprobe apm", Fn+F12 puts the machine
into hibernation, and the machine wakes up later without any apparent
problems.  This was while using a freshly installed debian "testing"
kernel (I believe it's 2.4.22).

--
Rob Browning
rlb @defaultvalue.org and @debian.org; previously @cs.utexas.edu