[ltp] hibernation - PhoenixBIOS (save2dsk.bin) vs swsusp, and ACPI/APM

Rob Browning linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 03 Dec 2003 18:34:17 -0600

I'm setting up a thinkpad t41, and I had a few questions regarding
hibernation and power management, including the tradeoffs between
save2dsk.bin/PhoenixBIOS (FAT partition or A0 partition) based
hibernation and swsusp-style hibernation.

The first thing I was wondering is what is the difference between the
PhoenixBIOS and swsusp methods with regards to BIOS integration.  In
the thinkpad "config" bios, there are a bunch of setting regarding
when to hibernate, how and when to convert a suspend to a hibernate,
"RediSafe", etc.  Can both hibernation methods make use of these
features, or are they only available to the PhoenixBIOS method?
(Swsusp hibernation seems to have the advantage over the PhoenixBIOS
method of being able to coexist on an existing swap partition.)

The second thing I was wondering was how ACPI and APM figure in here.
Can both hibernation methods work if you configure Linux to just use
ACPI, or does the PhoenixBIOS method only work with APM?  (Actually
I'm also wondering in general, whether I should prefer ACPI or APM on
a t41...)

Lastly, is Fn+F12 supposed to be safe, or should you use tcptl
--hibernate, apm, or something else instead?

Thanks for any help, and please point me at the FAQ if I've
inadvertently overlooked any exising answers.

--
Rob Browning
rlb @defaultvalue.org and @debian.org; previously @cs.utexas.edu