[ltp] Linux, kernel 2.4.22-ac4/2.4.23 and IRDA

Charles E Taylor IV linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 11 Dec 2003 10:55:59 -0500

On Fri, 12 Dec 2003 02:38:59 +1100
Steven Haigh <netwiz@crc.id.au> wrote:

[TP 600x]

> I've tried just about everything I can think of to get the IR working.
> I've heard mention that the -ac series of patches fixes support for the
> Thinkpad IR, so have downgraded the kernel from 2.4.23 to 2.4.22-ac4,
> but with no success.

> The 'Enabled: no' part makes me a bit sus, however I'm assuming (and
> maybe incorrectly) that this will change to 'yes' when I can get the
> module to detect the IR port, but I haven't been able to find anything
> to confirm this.

> I have played with tpctl and the Thinkpad module, but am not currently
> using this, as I couldn't see any major benefit in using this over not
> using it - as APM, suspend etc seems to work fine - the only issues I
> have is IR...

You may have tried this already,  but have you used the DOS-based PS2.EXE
utility to enable the IR (and disable the serial port)?  I don't have a
600X, but on a vanilla 600, this is what I had to do to get the IR port to
work.  (tpctl ought to do this, but it might be easier to set it up with
PS2.EXE and forget about it...)

*  Charles Taylor <tomalek@mindspring.com>
*  Chemistry teacher, Linux enthusiast!
*  Web: http://home.mindspring.com/~charletiv/