[ltp] IBM T30 won't shut down.

Matt Graham linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 17 Dec 2003 19:44:10 -0500

On Wednesday 17 December 2003 19:12, after a long battle with
technology, ejbr@comcast.net wrote:
> Running Gentoo, 2.4.20-r9 kernel, on an IBM T30 Thinkpad.  Whenever I
> shutdown, the computer restarts.  Whether I click the "Turn off
> computer" option in the KDE logout applet, try "halt" or "shutdown -h
> now" at the console, makes no matter.  The screen shows "Power down"
> for a second, then it reboots.  [...] Kernel has the APM stuff
> compiled in, not as modules.  apmd is running. I've also googled, but
> can find nothing useful.

This message is very similar to one I saw on comp.os.linux.portable
recently.  I replied in that newsgroup; did you see that message?
First thing you should try is turn on the "use real mode APM BIOS call
to power off" option in your kernel, and make sure you don't have SMP
enabled.

--
   Jesus is the best radio producer in the beans.  We need some saliva
   and pickles to get mad.   --MegaHAL, "The Best of MegaHAL"