[ltp] Hibernate Partitions on R32?

Jon Dick linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 7 Jan 2003 09:33:51 +1100

Hi, I also have an R32.

> The special keys are not working at the moment: but I have not
> tried to get the thinkpad modules compiled and runnign yet
> either.

You -can- get the special keys to work. I can't remember where I saw
this and I haven't yet done it myself, but I know they do work eg. so
you can use the volume up/down buttons, not just mute.

> When I did the install I blew away the XP and IBM partitions and
> let linux have the whole thing.  Hibernate seems to work OK for
> me though - I close the lid and it sleeps, and it wakes up when I
> open the lid again.

That's suspend, not hibernate. Hibernate is where the contents of RAM
are saved to disk and the machine turns off completely (Fn-F12). In
suspend you will have a little green moon symbol still on, whereas with
hibernate nothing is on because it's really off.

Try these links:

1. http://www.pc.ibm.com/qtechinfo/MIGR-4HT3R8.html
2. http://lpn.rnbhq.org/R31/R31.shtml#powermanagement

What you need is a hibernate file on a FAT32 partition, unfortunately. I
think there is also a kernel patch for hibernating but I don't know if
it's any good.

When I got my notebook I did a clean installation of Windows XP on a
FAT32 partition as /dev/hda1. Then I used the bootable ISO image
available at [2] to create the hibernate file. Then from within Linux,
pressing Fn-F12 saves the state and switches off. It works fine but is
not quite as nice as doing it in Windows XP.

> The question is, do I lose some functionality by not having the
> special partition?  I suppose that the R32 is keeping ram alive,
> which of course is more power than if it could just sluff it all
> off to disk and power down all memory.

You have lost a little functionality. I couldn't live without hibernate!

Jon.