[ltp] a newbie struggling with LILO

Katsumi Matsumoto linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 6 Jan 2003 17:46:10 -0500 (EST)

I'm having some problem booting, and I am hoping to get an advise from
someone.

I just recently installed RH8 on my T30.  Having followed the many advises
posted on the web, I was able to partition the 60GB hard drive, while
keeping intact the hidden XP recovery partition.  Since I want a dual
boot, I "recovered" XP in the first partition (also kept the recovery
partition and made recovery repair disk) and installed successfully RH8 on
the remaining partitions (/boot, /swap, and /).

Since T30 can have either a CD drive or a floppy drive in the single ultra
bay but not both, I could not make a boot-floppy for booting linux (I was
going to do this after booting into linux), because I installed linux from
CDs.  During the installation, I chose LILO to boot off of and designated
MBR to install LILO.  I chose DOS as the default OS over linux during the
boot loader configuration.

Now after the seemingly successfully installation, I turn on my T30, and
Windows XP comes up.  Contrary to my expectation, I do not get some kind
of a LILO screen that would allow me to choose either XP or linux.  Why?

Since I could not make a boot-floppy for booting linux, basically I'm
stuck here...

I'd appreciate any helpful hint to activate LILO.  Should I have used GRUB
instead?

Thanks,
-Katsumi