[ltp] 770Z And Xircom PCMCIA NIC Problem

Jim Harvey linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 14 Jan 2003 20:38:04 -0600

John Tilp wrote:
> Jim Harvey wrote:
>
>>Does the route command show a default route?
>

> Jim,
>
> There is no default listed when I do route, but neither of my other
> working systems had default entries.
>
> I did try 'route add default gw 192.168.1.1' which succeeded but
> made no difference (still couldn't ping in either direction.)
>
> The fact that the "Link Integrity" indicators on neither end ever
> come on seems to indicate that the Ethernet business end of the
> card is not set up right. But that fact didn't get back to the rest
> of the system, so everything seems to run as expected, it just
> doesn't find anybody out there.
>
> Here is what cardctl returns.
>
>  [localhost]# cardctl ident
>  Socket 0:
>    product info: "Xircom", "CreditCard 10/100", "CE3-10/100", "1.00"
>    manfid: 0x0105, 0x010a
>    function: 6 (network)
>  Socket 1:
>    no product info available
>
>  [localhost]# cardctl config
>  Socket 0:
>    Vcc 5.0V  Vpp1 0.0V  Vpp2 0.0V
>    interface type is "memory and I/O"
>    irq 9 [exclusive] [level]
>    function 0:
>      config base 0x0800
>        option 0x41 status 0x00
>      io 0x0300-0x030f [16bit]
>  Socket 1:
>    not configured
>
> --John Tilp

Actually, I have had more trouble with the automatic configurators setting a
default route which then overrides the route my dial up ppp connections gets and
I can't get out the the net.

I have had trouble with some distros that for whatever reason started the pcmcia
stuff up after the network and the network never recognizes the card.  The
solution was to rearrange the files in /etc/rc.d/rc3.d so the pcmcia initializes
long before the network.  Try the following two commands (as root):
/etc/rc.d/init.d/pcmcia restart
/etc/rc.d/init.d/network restart

The only other thing I can think of is your card is being forced to 10 megs and
the other end is 100 megs.  There is some kind of hardware protocol to negotiate
the rate, maybe it's failing.
--
  After Armageddon, there will be only three things left: Kudzu vines creeping
  over the ruins, Cockroaches feasting on the blackened ashes, and somewhere