[ltp] Sound drivers for my 380ED Laptop

Charles E Taylor IV linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 27 Jan 2003 09:59:07 -0500

On Tue, 28 Jan 2003 04:40:54 +0200
"Blessing" <dronfield@comone.co.zw> wrote:

> Thank you Charles
>
> Well I'm using Redhat 7.2 and as you pointed out, I've tried the 4232
> driver, infact my windoze is using the 4232 driver and it works fine.
> I'm using an IRQ=5 ,DMA=01 , DMA1=00, I/O= 5x300

Use sndconfig (just run as root and select the cs4232 driver) to set it up
(don't recompile the kernel).

* Try flip-flopping the DMA settings.  Here's a set that works on my
system: io=0x530 irq=5 dma=1 dma2=0 mpuio=0x330 mpuirq=5
* Turn off Quick Boot in the Thinkpad's easy setup - it causes some Linux
problems.
* Once you verify sound works, you might want to install the cs4232 script
from here: http://www.pc.ibm.com/qtechinfo/MIGR-4BP6Q6.html  (The 600
series uses similar sound hardware to the 380).

Also, you might have trouble if you reboot from Windows.  Turn the machine
off after using Windows and see if it works better.

*  Charles Taylor <tomalek@mindspring.com>
*  Chemistry teacher, Linux enthusiast!
*  College Chemistry website: http://home.mindspring.com/~charletiv/