[ltp] X22 Battery life

Michael Selway linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 30 Jan 2003 13:15:47 +0000

Ross Burton writes:
 > I had thought I read somewhere that you should not leave the battery in
 > whilst running on mains, or something.  There are too many references on
 > the web which contradict each other... :(

I've read these too.  Most recently though, I saw something on
IBM's thinkpad support pages: one of the very recent thinkpads
will deliberately not run at full speed when on AC if the battery
is absent.  The reasoning was that peak power demand couldn't be
satisfied by the mains circuitry (mains adaptor etc): the battery
was acting as a fat capacitor to fill in the peaks.

m.