[ltp] Nearing nirvana with a T40P

Neil Weisenfeld linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
01 Jul 2003 00:16:39 -0400

On Mon, 2003-06-30 at 10:16, mukesh agrawal wrote:
> On 29 Jun 2003, Neil Weisenfeld wrote:
>
> > Another related issue here is that I need to switch to a VT before
> > suspending or hibernating.  The APM script feature does *not* do it for
> > me.  I still have to manually switch, and then upon resume the apm
> > script feature will switch back.  But, if I rely on the apmscript
> > feature to 'chvt 1', it doesn't work.  I've tried moving the 'chvt' and
> > adding a sleep to apmscript, but it hasn't helped.
>
> Is this true even if you use VESA fb? I'm running VESA fb and XFree 4.3
> on a T40 with Radeon 9000 (but not FireGL), and "apm --suspend" works
> fine.

Hmm... I'm a bit of a newbie w.r.t. Linux framebuffers.  Basically,
using the linux default text-mode console I can sleep with Fn-F4
happily, but have to do the chvt silliness to get the screen back.
Trying loading graphical console e.g. vga=0x307 works, but I pretty much
can't sleep at all now.  It will shut things down and seem like it's
sleeping, but the crescent moon doesn't light up and "apm --suspend"
which X is active locks up the machine altogether.

Collating people's experiences here with the various video setups it
seems like people have systems that work substantially different from
one another.  It would be interesting to see what people's set-ups are
really like.

Maybe time to investigate 2.5 kernel for kicks.

Thanks to everyone for your responses.

Neil